Monday 23 November 2020

'Timeless'

It's not St Catherine's Day yet - St Clement is the saint culted on November 23rd, in fact - but this post has something of a St Catherine connection. Continuing my interest in the work of Dorset musician Sammy Hurden, some while ago I managed to chase down a secondhand copy of her short album Jurassic Journey; it seems to be the only example of her music in any recorded form, apart from snippets on Youtube. One of the tracks, 'Timeless', was recorded in where else but St Catherine's Chapel at Abbotsbury. One day early in 2011 Ms Hurden took singer Abbie Lathe (one of the participants in the early-1990s women's choir Brilliant Birthdays along with PJ Harvey and the late Kate Garrett) and West Country folk performer Jess Upton (whose school band, some accounts say, Polly had also played with in her teens) up to the chapel along with Lucy Roberts who played the five-string fiddle, and together they recorded this haunting, wordless evocation of place, memory and time. 

As nothing of this music exists anywhere except on a handful of CDs, I thought I would put together a little video to go with 'Timeless'. I assembled my photos of the chapel going back over many years to form a journey there and back. Have a look if you have a moment. Sammy Hurden's website seems to have disappeared sometime over the last year, so I am glad to publicise her work (which I trust she would not mind - it's impossible to ask her). 

1 comment: