Thursday 12 November 2020

Ordure, Ordure

The above may be the dullest picture I have ever posted on this blog, but it's what this small patch of dug-over ground represents that's important. As my sprawling garden, in front and to the rear of the Rectory, is no-cat's-land, all the neighbourhood's felines tend to prowl around it, glaring at each other when their visits coincide, and making their presence felt in even more disagreeable ways when so disposed. In fact, there have been times when it has barely seemed possible to step outside the door without treading in cat poo within moments. It tends to be left in unexpected places, and you are unaware of what you've done until the stench reaches you and that, depending on the weather and wind conditions, may be some time after you disturbed the excrement in question. There was one occasion when I caught a cat at it, and its expression could only be described as defiant.

Over the years I have cursed and raged as I have gingerly removed my shoes, washed them under the outside tap with the aid of a stick, and left them on the step to dry. Then, realising that my interlopers made a particular beeline for disturbed soil to pursue their defecatory activities, I reasoned that, if I was unable to prevent these offensive habits I could perhaps at least confine them. 

So around the garden there are now four dug-over areas for the cats to make use of, and (somewhat to my surprise) that's just what's happening. So far I haven't found any unwelcome surprises elsewhere. It only requires me to rake the ground across every few days, and possibly I might be able to avoid future horrors at the hands (or other parts) of these appalling beasts. I wonder if anyone else has taken the same step?

3 comments:

  1. Human poo, of course, just disappears in a swoosh of clean water, and never causes any problems, work, or disgust for anyone else thereafter. I believe it just magically ceases to exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been a great admirer of the Revd Henry Moule, inventor of the dry-earth closet and a Dorsetshire clergyman to boot. A very sensible solution to the problem of human feculence.
      But if it were my human neighbours who were coming into my garden for the purposes of easement, I would object similarly. I'm not being speciesist.

      Delete