Monday 2 November 2020

Last Hurrah

With the aim of lessening the number of services in these straitened times I cheated yesterday and kept the 8am mass at Swanvale Halt church as All Saints and the 10.30 one as All Souls. We had more living souls turn out for the latter than at any time since the first lockdown began in March, in fact more or less equivalent to what we'd been getting before it began (and not leaving much space in the church). I wondered whether people were coming because it might have been their last chance for some time, but we hadn't actually had confirmation that places of worship would be closing, so it may not have been the case. That will be it for some time, though: it's back to the missa solitaria for now.

On Halloween night I tottered down to the church to make my customary toast to the dead. There was a variety of litter around the churchyard which I cleared up. Whoever had left the litter had also discarded (quite neatly) a Silent Pool gin glass, which I was happy to confiscate and convert to good use.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment