Monday 12 April 2010

Truth in Sideways

First: after the communion service at the care home, a very polite gentleman who has been very engaged throughout the service stands and says, 'Perhaps you can help me. I don't know where this is or who I am'. I reflect that this is a rather less embroidered version of the questions I often get asked. Luckily a nurse was on hand to explain, 'You're Ernest, lunch is in half an hour, and then your wife is coming to collect you'. 'Oh splendid', replied Ernest. If only it was always that easy. Perhaps, in a way, it is.

Second: I find a member of the congregation, retired middle-class professional chap, coming into church on Saturday afternoon. 'I came in this morning to pray that nobody was hurt in the Grand National', he explains, 'And nobody was hurt, so I've come back to say thank you', and he kneels and gets on with saying thank you. It makes me love the work all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment