Wednesday 28 April 2010

An Indepth Consideration of Theodicy

I ended up taking a difficult (all right, nutty) parishioner to a Christian healing centre as our conversations have become completely pointless. The centre is Charismatic in style but at least Anglican in authority and form. He, thankfully, found it peaceful and welcoming, while I loathed the entire experience, very, very quietly. You feel a rat hating what everyone else seems to be getting so much out of. The trouble is that I can't help disagreeing with nearly everything I hear.

We started with a long and to me completely unaffecting service. First one of the volunteers shared some of the 'words from the Lord' they'd received while praying before the service: she'd seen a vision of Jesus with his sweat dripping down on the congregation here. I trust this wasn't an impression seen in the mind's eye but a real, pulsating, genuine, vision seen with the natural sight, otherwise you wouldn't use the word, would you? Then there was the chaplain's homily.'Do you remember how great it was when you accepted the Lord Jesus?' she said. Actually, I do remember, and it was bloody awful. Oddly enough, she clearly thinks a great deal of CS Lewis, as people often do, and as I recall his conversion was bloody awful as well. But no, we all think the same way and go through the same experiences, don't we. 'God is always with us through our sorrows. Isn't that a wonderful comfort?' Well, oddly enough when I'm actually suffering I don't give a toss whether God is with me or not, and his presence, whatever it is, makes not a stuff of difference. Worse, if I think he's actually causing the pain I am tempted to tell him he can take this sort of 'love' and eternally swivel on it. I can live without God's presence, I want the pain to stop, thank you. I know it's more complicated than that - but that's what it is, complicated.

As my parishioner was having his consultation I was sat in the lounge trying to do some work while three of the volunteers or regulars were chatting opposite me. The conversation went along these lines:

A: Do you know why Haslam wasn't bombed during the War?
B: They were praying in the churches.
A: Well, yes, I expect so, but it's more than that. There's a water tower there that the Germans had decided they were going to use when they invaded, and that's why the area wasn't bombed. God put that idea in the Germans' minds.
B: And God inspired the architect to build it there in the first place.
A: Exactly.

At this stage I was thinking a) what was God bloody well playing at regarding Coventry then and b) how much more convenient it might have been had God put it into the Germans' minds not to invade Poland in the first place.

I don't know why this kind of stuff gets under my skin so badly. I know it represents an insane way of thinking about the world, because it undermines any process of rational cause and effect: it's basically a sort of nihilism, because it removes rational causes for events and predictability and replaces them with a single, sovereign and inscrutable Will which we cannot read or understand. Try and work it out consistently, and it's the high road to madness. It's also authoritarian because it places so much power on those who interpret and communicate the will of God. Say 'God has told me' and it puts the matter beyond debate and scrutiny. If this is Christianity, I want out. I know all this, and reject it, but I can't work out a way of accommodating this sort of worldview within the way I think myself. I don't understand it, don't know how it arises.

I told our Evangelical curate about this and she shared her own experiences. She and her husband once went to speak at a Christian event and got late-night messages shoved under their door from the team leaders saying they hadn't yet contributed any 'words from the Lord' and they should pray to discover why the Holy Spirit wasn't talking to them. At another church she described as 'rational Charismatic' the ministry team would indeed pray together and note their thoughts and impressions, but exercised a certain scepticism about them. They'd write down whatever came out of the meetings and review them a few weeks later to see what sense, if any, they made; they didn't simply assume that the random chaos of the mind were messages from the divine. I've got no problems with that: it permits the human mind, and creation itself, some autonomy as well as allowing God in. It has an element of discussion, scrutiny, and reason. It isn't mad.

2 comments:

  1. Are you absolutely sure you're in the right job?

    "He can take this sort of 'love' and eternally swivel on it" would make some sort of sense coming from someone who aspired to sainthood. But a clergyman in the Church of England?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that there are two points. First, all wings of the church have good and bad. Good charismatic churches consider any "words of the Lord" calmly, rationally, and in the light of Biblical and church teaching. Bad charismatic churches get carried away.

    Good Anglo-Catholic churches use liturgy, repetition, particular forms of music and dress to channel people's minds towards God. Bad ones use it as costume and a game.

    Since both false approaches do bring comfort to some, it is not easy to tell false from true - judging the tree by its fruit is not easy.

    Second, I agree with you about Haslam, Coventry and Poland. And I agree with you that God does not cause pain. That you cannot feel God in your suffering at times, however, neither negates the comfort that others - including myself, albeit often in retrospect - feel, nor does it mean that God is not with you in your pain. For some reason you do not feel his presence, but all Biblical and church teaching tells us that he is with you, even if you do not feel his presence, and take no comfort from it. As Christians we believe that we can as individuals accept Christ or reject him, and although we can accept him in general, we can also reject him at any moment. For most people this is an unconscious but in some sense deliberate act, in which they ignore God's will when they do something that they know to be contrary to what God would have them do. Your lack of awareness of the presence of God is not in that category, but I urge you to pray now that next time you are in that place, that you allow God to touch you with his absolute, unconditional and profound love, so that you may know that peace of Christ, which passes all understanding, and that it may remain with you, now, and in your toughest times.

    ReplyDelete