Monday 4 January 2021

New Year Navigation

Posting about COVID restrictions is thoroughly uncongenial today so here are some pictures from my alleged week off between the First and Second Sundays of Christmastide! They were taken on two separate occasions but the conditions were pretty similar both days - cold, dull, and damp underfoot.

Widelake Park has become a site of memorialisation. I can't remember seeing the collections before, but this one was clearly there for at least the second anniversary of the death of a child.




I liked the textures of this ruinous roof.


The dual bridge - one over a disused railway, the lower spanning an old canal bed - fascinated me. I could hear rough voices beneath the canal bridge, presumably from trolls. In the arch of the rail bridge you can glimpse the cheerful visage of what might be taken as a troll, but I think is in fact a tidied-up graffito phallus. Phalluses are perhaps not cheerful enough.


Chinthurst Tower - a folly I've visited before but on this occasion the focal point of my otherwise unfocused journey, and of many other people's as it happened.


This incredible and frankly baleful lopped tree is in fact two trees: as far as I could see, a birch growing inside the living carcass of a willow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment