Wednesday 20 January 2021

Musique Concrete

It has taken several years for me to finish the task of working through the draft book of music for the sacred Office I use, or try to use, making sure the office hymns are in order, there are antiphons attached to all the proper days, and the psalms are properly pointed for the plainchant tones; and thanks to the epidemic I have achieved it! A copy now sits in my house and another in the Lady Chapel at church to be used when appropriate (that is, when I am alone).

There are, as far as I know, no official tones or music set for much of the material in Common Worship, so I have them made up myself. This process has been made a bit easier once I discovered, in brief, how plainchant works, and the antiphons, in particular, make more sense now.

That doesn't mean I know how they go. It's all very well sitting playing around with my borrowed piano and coming up with something that sounds nice to me, but if I am going to use them - even on my own - it will take rehearsal time first and I wouldn't recommend anyone being present until then!

2 comments:

  1. Why not publish them? Surely others might be interested? I think Amazon let's you publish things very easily and make them available to others for a pound

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did cross my mind to use the settings more widely, but I'm not completely sure anyone else won't find them awful!

    ReplyDelete