Sunday 23 August 2020

Constructively Obstructive

 

It is said that one of the topics which radio news programmes can always count on to arouse rage and vituperation is cycling. In fact just a few days ago I did hear an entire feature on this phenomenon, which the presenter put down to the way cycling is perceived in Britain as a sport rather than a means of getting human beings from one place to another. Like in fact quite a lot of people, I am both a cyclist and a motorist and conscious when I am on my bicycle of not getting in the way of motor transport, because I know how stressful it can be when you are in a car, and late.

Yesterday, I'm afraid, a modest amount of obstruction was part of the point when I went out with Hornington's chapter of Extinction Rebellion, cycling round and round the town's roads. It reminded me I need to buy a new bell, and have done for quite some time: there was no chance of me joining in with the mass bell-ringing. Mind you, my brakes are possibly an even higher priority even if, yesterday, I ended up cycling slower than I ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment