Monday 8 June 2020

Three Rowans

When my mind isn't in a fit state for much detailed musing (and it's not) I turn to the garden. A couple of years ago my beautiful rowan tree had to be felled. The rowan is one of my favourite trees - I'm moved by its delicate leaves and red berries - and I was so sorry to lose mine, which soared gracefully up at the side of the Rectory. So I was anxious to replace it - and replaced it has very much been. The tree surgeon who removed the previous one, along with the great eucalyptus, brought a sapling he'd grown. It was a few encouraging feet high, but then the foxes stripped off all its bark. Thankfully it failed to die, and has come on healthily this year.


But not as healthily as one that I discovered soon after, that had just happened to seed itself in a convenient pot. It has positively rocketed, and I hope next year might thicken up a bit!


Finally there is a tiny rowan, currently in a little pot. It's only about six inches high so far. It already has the profile of a miniscule tree, and after seeing some lovely bonsai trees at Wisley Gardens with Ms Brightshades last year (the second photo you can see here is a bonsai) I thought that eventually I might have a go at bonsai-ing this one. I could take it with me, eventually.

2 comments:

  1. "I could take it with me, eventually."

    When you die, you mean? Is this a special arrangement for priests?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I was thinking about the time when that house in Bridport becomes more than a pipe dream.

    ReplyDelete