Tuesday 2 June 2020

Public Service Broadcast

It has always been my custom to ring the church bell before Morning and Evening Prayer (concluding the latter, towards 6pm, with the Angelus). Of course that didn't happen during the two months no prayers were said in the church building, but now I am glad to be adding the tintinnabulation once again to the Swanvale Halt soundscape.

Lots of people have told me how comforting it is to hear the bell ringing again. Among these is Clarrie who is mother to Rob, our sort-of-under-verger when he is around (he used to be verger at another church before they moved to us). 'When I hear the bell in the evening', she told me a couple of days ago, 'I always know it's time to begin our tea.'

The unexpected sense of responsibility was one I found very disconcerting and I stressed that she shouldn't rely on me, because especially in the evenings I am sometimes late. 'That's all right', she assured me. 'If you're late, then it's really time to begin our tea.'

No comments:

Post a Comment