Friday 28 September 2018

Green Lung

A busy few days and an errand of mercy on behalf of a friend that sent me dashing through night-time London yesterday (after finishing with the Air Cadets about 9.15) left me with little energy to do very much on a day off. As the weather has been fine I toyed with going out but haven't done so, instead taking a breather at home. It would be a shame to go nowhere apart from the supermarket, though, so at moments like this I'm so very grateful for the fields at the back of my house which slope down towards the Barcombe estate on the other side of Swanvale Halt. It was here I came to think when I visited the parish back in the summer of 2009 to consider whether this was the place I was supposed to be. There's a convenient bench at the top of the slope from where I can watch the dog-walkers and beyond to the main road from Guildford snaking its way along the horizon ridge. It's deeply comforting to see people going about their own business completely unconnected to me, people to whom my presence is invisible and to whom I am nothing at all. It's a great delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment