Saturday 19 March 2022

Interloper

Last year I caught sight of a flash of red in the branches of the hazel tree just where it shouldn't have been and kept telling myself I would investigate it properly, but by the time I got around to looking the hazel was in full leaf, the red had gone, and there was a little leafy twiggy plant poking out of the wall which gave precious little clue as to what it might be. Yesterday I sa w the red again and this time managed to get a proper look. 


This little thing appears to be a Flowering Currant, of all things, wedged into a crack on the top of the wall. Flowering currants produce fruit which are edible but impalatable to humans but presumably birds like them, which presumably is how it got here, after an avian of some variety dextrously poo-ed in the gap or wiped its beak on it. It is a nice addition to the garden's flora, despite its unrealistic position. I wonder if I can retrieve a seed and grow it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment