Tuesday 26 October 2021

St Catherine at Ottershaw

Before long I will report on a day of church-crawling last week, but, just for now, here is an image of St Catherine from Ottershaw church. I could tell it was there before I even went inside the building because I could see the outline of the wheel! The Catherine window is one of a suite in the church supplied by the studio of the great CE Kempe in 1901. The stereotype is that Kempe's glass always has a predominately greeny-yellowy tinge, but you can't see that very much in the Ottershaw windows. What you can see is a sweetness of composition and meticulous detail in the saint's cloak - the black flashes of the ermine, and the roundels of pearl. The window was a great bonus on my day out, as was the marvellous café in Egham where I had tea in an enamel mug and the best chips I think I've ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment