Thursday 8 April 2021

Escape to Dorset

Like everyone else I haven't been very far lately so sitting with my mum in her garden (well, she sat inside the conservatory) and then a walk with my sister and her family around Sandbanks today was a profound and much-missed pleasure. I was tempted by an ice-cream which I thought would be a bit like a Cornetto, as it appeared to operate on the same principle, but proved to be a deadlier concoction of sugars than I was expecting. The lifeguards were out despite the chilly sunlight and there were indeed some hardy souls braving the water.


I've mentioned before the swift turnover of buildings in this part of Dorset, and how many of them seem to want to ape what the builders think Art Deco architecture looks like. This apartment building, though, nos.72-74 Banks Road, is one of the more successful: I couldn't believe it was genuine to the Art Deco period - how would I have missed it? - and it proves to date only from 2008, but it doesn't look at all unreasonable compared to some of the concoctions you sometimes see around the Poole basin. I wonder what it's like inside.

2 comments:

  1. When I lived in Poole in the 1980s, one of the delights of Sandbanks was the fact that many of the houses there were still glorified beach-houses; quaint, a bit run-down, built for wealthy people in (I guess) the 1920s and 30s, and redolent of long lazy afternoons with tea and ginger beer. Something has been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memories of that sort of time are very hazy; there are a couple of older houses left, and the same little 1920s bungalow next to Banks Road which, miraculously, still holds on.

    ReplyDelete