Thursday 28 May 2020

A Trip to the Beach!

Itching to get out of the house (and its immediate environs) I went walking on my day off. The beach is surprisingly close at hand: it's at Earling Bridge, not more than a couple of miles away along the footpaths. It's just a scrap of sand next to the river, but it's still a beach.



I wasn't the only soul who decided to use the sunshine to go to Earling Bridges. Some came well-equipped for river exploration.


Earling has some appealing old houses.


The journey home took me past the epilepsy home in Hornington; the old chapel appears shyly through the trees.


But the first leg of the walk took me past the Dark House which I first saw in 2009 and again in 2016. The steel fences have been removed so you can view the building in its austere 1930s splendour, but signs now warn you that the whole site is alarmed and arrests of trespassers have been made. Nothing is happening to it apart from its continued dereliction, and sure enough the chimney on the right looks about to topple!

No comments:

Post a Comment