Wednesday 17 July 2019

Surprise Catherines

The time will come when I have the energy to post something significant, but for now here are a couple of images of St Catherine which have come my way lately, as well as the one in the cloisters of Westminster Abbey I saw a little while ago. The first is from a museum in Verona, seen by my friend Lady Wildwood and a chum of hers on holiday: 13th-century, I reckon. What a dinky wheel.


Then last week when I called in at Seale Church for a shufti round I found that the reredos is formed of a painting, and on the right hand side is who the guide leaflet describes as St Catherine of Siena. The leaflet is wrong.


Finally, though there's no need for a photograph, the other day a framed copy of the National Gallery's St Catherine by Raphael appeared outside one of the Swanvale Halt charity shops. Most unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment