Friday 3 June 2016

A New Little Task

I have been wondering for a while about having an ongoing task to return to whenever time weighs heavy on my hands hem-hem (more likely when I haven't got the mental or physical energy to tackle the things which will have to occupy my attention eventually). It does me good to have a Project. Last year I exasperated several people and intrigued others by forcing myself to preach a year-long series of sermons based on the Revised Anglican Catechism. It was a surprise to many that such a thing existed; my thinking was that it would allow me actually to talk about a variety of topics which the iron constraints of the lectionary don't often permit, and to deal more with doctrine and belief rather than spirituality in the narrower sense. Some of the congregation members who found the series valuable asked whether I would put the twenty-or-so 'sermons', if that's what they were, into a book format and though I fought shy of doing so - I may be prepared to talk about my interpretation of the doctrine of the Anglican Church, but am less confident about writing it down - I now think this might be worth doing. The exercise made me think more about how classic ideas and theological positions make sense, or don't, in the contemporary world, so having it all in a more permanent form which can be referred to could be helpful. It will divert me from vestment websites, anyway. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment