Tuesday 5 April 2016

All Change Is For The Worse

The point of this unremarkable photograph is its unremarkableness. A couple of (!) my portable radios have become decidedly unreliable due to being repeatedly knocked off tables and so I went to the local Currys (other stores are available) to buy replacements. This one is exactly the same as its predecessor, a model bought too long ago for me to remember very accurately. How delightful to discover something not changing, something perfectly serviceable, reliable and effective in its task not being updated, redeveloped, or remodelled.

This was not the case with replacing my camera, which has again suffered from a couple of accidents and which now has a mysterious black blob visible on all photographs. The sales counter presented a somewhat bewildering range of cameras none of which were quite like the old version. 'I'll have that one,' I told the sales chap, who then went away to open his cupboards. Back he came: 'We don't have any more of those.' Several minutes elapsed while I selected the next least offensive model. That turned out not to be available either. 'We have the 200, the 180, the 2 & 5/8ths, and the sixpence ha'penny', said the weary sales assistant, which meant nothing to me until he took me round to the storage cupboard and showed me what they did have, most of which weren't on display at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment