Monday 25 February 2013

Doesn't Bode Well

I had a call from what sounded like a very young mum enquiring about having her baby baptised. She was based in Guildford. 'That's unusual,' I said, 'Most people have their children christened in their local church. Have you got any connection with Swanvale Halt?' 'Not really', she answered, 'I couldn't find a church here.' That was odd, but I thought we'd better have a conversation about it so it was arranged for Saturday.

She didn't turn up. A quarter of an hour after our meeting time, I called her mobile number: no response. I called the landline number. 'Hello?' asked an older male voice. Rather embarrassed I explained who I was and asked to speak to Young Mum. She wasn't in. 'Might she be on her way here?' I asked. 'No idea,' said the man, 'She hasn't been in since last night'.

Where was the baby, I wonder? As someone said to me, 'In a basket outside the church, if you're unlucky.'

No comments:

Post a Comment