Monday 28 August 2023

Crooksbury Hill & Waverley Abbey

My days off being absorbed by record office work, I haven't been on a proper walk for a long time. Apart from a desperate attempt to escape the Clergy Triennial Conference, and an excursion around follies near Dorking in May (neither of which really count), it's been April since I ventured out for a stroll. Today's walk was more of a stroll-ette as a) I was working this morning and b) I'm afflicted by a bout of plantar-fasciitis at the moment which makes a lot of walking a bit of a strain. So I didn't go anywhere I hadn't seen before, though I followed slightly different paths to the trig. pillar on the top of Crooksbury Hill and then down to Waverley Abbey. The paths were surprisingly busy with Bank Holiday business, but the Soldier's Ring in the woods north of the Abbey was strangely calm - and calmly strange, even if you wouldn't have noticed you were walking across a hillfort unless you knew it was there. I continue to be surprised by Waverley Abbey's ruins: I've been there innumerable times, but always find new views and angles to enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment