Monday 22 May 2023

The Anchoress, Queen Elizabeth Hall, 20.5.23

Given the excitement of the Spring Fair that I knew was going to occupy so much of Saturday, responding to The Anchoress's email on Friday evening alerting me to the late availability of a handful of tickets for her concert on the South Bank would have been foolish in the extreme, so naturally I did. I cooked a dinner I could take with me, and calculated that if everything worked out I would be able to catch a train that would get me into London well in time (rather than just in time). So it proved, and I was able to take part in an evening of energetic and passionate music, without the slight fragility that sometimes characterises The Anchoress's recorded work. I didn't know about her until relatively recently, thanks as usual to Radio 4, though she's been about for ten years or more. Despite all the seats being sold according to the South Bank website, there were nine seats around me vacant; two rows ahead were a couple I know from Swanvale Halt.

No comments:

Post a Comment