Tuesday 18 January 2022

Good Bye, Good Beast

Sadly, as of yesterday, Dr Bones's dog Boots is no more. She acquired him having been deemed by the pet shop an unfit person to own a goldfish, but apparently it was fine being responsible for a creature considerably higher up the evolutionary ladder (at least in theory). Boots was a rescue dog and came to the Dr quite young: we never knew his story, but it took him a while to get used to his new life, consistent with his old one not having been very much fun. I am not a doggy person - not an animal person at all - but Boots has been a part of all our lives for so long that, even though he's done pretty well for a greyhound-of-some-sort, it is sad to think he will be no longer. He was a venerable and faithful hound.

I have photographs of Boots in canal tunnels, conversing with Ms Formerly Aldgate, and listening to me speak about Charles Dickens on a London Goth Walk in the pouring rain, but here he is in Swanvale Halt rectory on the day of my induction twelve years ago. I think this was after he chewed the wall in the bathroom where he was confined while I and Dr Bones were at the ceremony itself. I mean, fair comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment