Thursday 9 September 2021

Apples and Gravity

The old eating-apple tree in the garden hasn't been that heavily laden with fruit this year and normally I wouldn't take it off for a few weeks yet. But having noticed its southward branches nodding unusually low, I looked it over and found myself treading on a raised hump in the grass just at its base on the northern side. It was being pulled over! I hastily relieved it of all the fruit I could reach, and now I have wedged a post under it so it shouldn't move any further for a while, but come the winter I think a lot of it is going to have to be cut off, and I wonder what that will do to it, poor thing.

2 comments:

  1. It should be OK, especially if you cut out any congested twigs rather than lopping off big branches. It's a longer job, of course, but that often stimulates them to fruit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sam. I have a friend who looks after a garden for a living but she hasn't got back to me about it yet. I do think a lot of it is going to have to come off, though, it's seriously unbalanced.

    ReplyDelete