Wednesday 4 August 2021

Paying Your Way

There is precious little happening in the parish at the moment, so I will rest content with another example of the 'modern indulgence' concept we have noted in the past. I had a free evening before my day off tomorrow so I decided to do my shopping early, meaning I was in clericals rather than civvies as I would be on a Thursday. Emptying my trolley at the checkout I got out my debit card ready to pay, and then when the time came forgot which pocket I'd put it in, occasioning repeated checking, emptying and refilling every pocket in my clothing. A chap with a little girl in a pushchair waiting offered, 'if I pay for you, will I get into heaven?' This provoked a short, jocular, and I fear not very enlightening theological conversation along the lines that there are other requirements. Most morning I pray for the chance to talk to people about God and I am not sure this counted.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment