Saturday 13 March 2021

Easy Enough In Theory

"Shall we give out flowers for Mothering Sunday like usual?" Rick the verger asked. I reckoned we couldn't do it in person, as he wanted to, but there would be no problem with having a tray of posies outside the church. Jill who usually coordinates them was willing to make them ("it'll give me something to do") so that was all under control, wasn't it.

I thought there ought to be a little prayer slip to go with them and knocked one up. I got to the church this evening ready to sort them all out and found that the posies - well, weren't quite what I envisaged. Materials seemed to have been a bit limited. But for no very apparent reason there was an unused bunch of supermarket tulips so I reduced the number of posies, made use of the tulips, and got some more greenery from the church garden to bolster them a bit. 

If the posies were to be left in water overnight, the little prayer slips might get damp. They would be better laminated. Within five minutes I had broken the laminator and even with the aid of the only, very small and awkward, Phillips screwdriver to open it up, there was no rescuing it. Argos is not far away but this was turning into as unexpectedly costly a venture as it was a time-consuming one. The whole episode ended up taking about three hours rather than the one I anticipated. Mighty works for Jesus, as Fr Gooley would say, or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment