Tuesday 27 October 2020

Keep Up At The Back

There is one aspect of their work in which I have a great deal of sympathy with Government ministers, which is keeping track of information. Today there has been a mixup over where to put our Slimming World group - the only external hirers we have at the moment - caused by me not taking account of Rick the verger acting on his initiative; an apparent misunderstanding of a mailout I sent about our annual Memorial Service, which led to reports of people planning to do the opposite of what I'd intended and had me checking the text of the letter back in the church office (it was as I remembered, and really hard to misinterpret); and, at the evening visit to the Air Cadets, forgetting that I needed to broadcast my session online as well as in person (in the end it didn't matter, but it was still very unsettling). After a few unexpected incidents of this kind my head starts to spin and I feel like my ganglions are getting tangled up. I become incapable of remembering anything at all. What is my Microsoft password? How do I open up this application? Which firm serviced the church boilers last? What's this person's surname? And I wonder how politicians, who deal daily with situations that shift and rearrange themselves like sand dunes in a storm, manage at all. Those who offer themselves for public office must be to some extent a different breed from me, is the only conclusion I can draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment