Saturday 11 May 2019

London Grandeur

How was it that it took my friend Ms Brightshades to take me to parts of London that I really should have seen before a couple of weeks ago? St James's Spanish Place is spectacular, the jewel in the crown of the capital's Roman Catholic community before (and arguably since) the completion of Westminster Cathedral. Cathedral-sized itself, it's the quintessence of High Victorian Gothic filtered through RC ideals. 


Not far away is the equally remarkable Wallace Collection, sumptuous, surprising, and free as well. Ms Brightshades commented on the wallpaper and she is not unreasonable to do so.








I was gratified by three images of St Catherine in the collection. The Carlo Crivelli I'd seen before:


But the Onorio Marinari and the little medieval painting were new to me:



Oddly enough blessed Catherine doesn't appear at St James's Spanish Place. Our final stop (apart from coffee) was Selfridges which I have been to before, but hadn't seen in quite the same terms until my companion pointed out how like an art gallery it is itself:


No comments:

Post a Comment