Sunday 1 April 2018

Easter 2018

This closeup picture of the Maundy Thursday Altar of Repose makes the candles look crazier than in fact they were. The flowers, as usual raided from the Rectory garden, don't amount to the spectacular displays you might see in some churches, but it was done with devotion (and some weariness). Most of the services were roughly parallel in numbers to last year, though the main 10am service today slumped by about a third from its seventeen-year peak of last year. You can't read too much into that as it's usually due to where in the week, and in the case of Easter where in the year, the big days fall. The 8am Prayer Book service was a thing of chaos. I forgot the order of events, which differs quite significantly from the modern service, and then wondered why Rick the verger hadn't brought up the offerings. I went to investigate and found there weren't any, which threw me even more.

I'm not sure I achieved much spiritually over this Lent and Easter: it remains to be seen, perhaps, in reflecting on the various things that have happened including my op. But today I finally waved goodbye to Julie's car, which has sat under a hedge at the side of my drive for well over two years. A friend of hers wanted it and took it away. I am very, very glad at this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment