Monday 5 September 2016

Grace-Less

We've been looking forward to the ATC Squadron's 75th anniversary for some time. I turned up to the parade in the afternoon to find that I wasn't obliged to do anything at all apart from provide moral support, so that was fine. I didn't even have that many remarks about my responsibility for the weather (it rained before the parade and afterwards, but not during). In passing the chairman then asked whether I'd say a grace at the celebratory meal in the evening: 'it seems right that we should have one', he said.

Now, you'd have thought there was a suitable RAF grace somewhere around that I could use or at least adapt, but a round of mild Googling revealed nothing at all. I did find the blog of a clerical colleague elsewhere with some sound advice on how not to offer grace at a meal; but nothing that was actually helpful. Consequently I felt constrained to make something up, which was something like this:

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

God of grace, you ride upon the wings of the wind and make the cloud your chariot; look with tender mercy on all the business of this earth below, on those who serve and those who wait, and on this company gathered here as we mark the history that connects us. In what we share, both the benefits of this food and the fellowship of one another, may we be blessed, and tender to you the joy of gratitude, and the true service of the heart. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

It has a sort of pseudo-Prayer Book rhythm to it which rather pleased me. One can go either minimally religious or very religious indeed and I found myself veering towards the latter but did say to the multitudes that they could give thanks inwardly in whatever way they felt moved. Ms Formerly Aldgate liked it, anyway, though she was drinking her wine quite fast at that stage in the evening.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Well I've not touched a drop yet today and along with Mrs A I'd say it was very fine! Proper job, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very kind of you. I was glad I didn't just try to busk it!

    ReplyDelete