Wednesday 11 May 2016

Outed

The church's office manager is helping her former employer clear and refurbish a house in the road that adjoins the Rectory, and our bookkeeper is helping her. On Monday I got into a conversation with said bookkeeper about the former and current Rectories and how awkward it is to manage the stretching garden.

"How big is your garden?"
"It goes up the hill quite a long way."
"You know, someone's put this hideous thing in their garden, you can see it from the house ..."
"What kind of hideous thing?"
"It has pillars and a sort of roof ..."
"Ah, that'll be the hideous thing in my garden."
"Oh no! Well, I say, 'hideous', I meant 'unexpected' "

1 comment:

  1. "Interesting" might have been another word for your book-keeper to try out on such an occasion. I've found it useful, anyway, as in "well, one can't say it's uninteresting."

    ReplyDelete