Tuesday 2 February 2016

The End of Which Stick?

It's sometimes a struggle to know what theme to adopt at my assemblies at the Infants School. A few days ago I found myself talking to them about the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats in Matthew 25, in which Jesus imagines the Judgement and the separation of the good and the bad. He pictures God saying to the righteous, 'You saw me hungry and gave me food, thirsty and gave me drink, naked and gave me clothing,' and so on. I hadn't imagined the children would pick up on the word 'naked' but one or two did and once one starts giggling they all do. Oh well.

One of the children is Nathan, son of the director of the ecumenical youth work charity which works with the churches in this area. His dad asked Nathan about what I'd said and got the answer that it was 'About goats and naked people' which, as he suggested, 'Sounds more like an extract from a Dennis Wheatley novel'. So I tell myself that my mere presence achieves more than anything I might actually say. How often that seems to be the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment