Wednesday 23 September 2015

From Ruthless Compassion to Extreme Altruism

Image result for altruismGiving the Biblical tithe of one’s income isn’t that hard for me, thanks to a generous stipend, house and tax arrangements. This makes me considerably more charitable than the majority of people, though nowhere near as much as the people this article characterises as ‘extreme altruists’. Julia and Jeff, the couple it describes, give away the majority of what they earn, and scrutinise every life decision, including having children, to see whether it will increase or reduce the amount they are able to give. If you find the account of their behaviour challenging, avoid the comments (always wise advice when venturing online) which may upset you in a completely different way.

A friend once described a similar sort of individual, a member of his church. This gentleman (let’s call him Walter), who died a couple of years ago, had inherited a significant property portfolio in and around London which enabled him to become a one-man housing agency for poor and vulnerable people, while himself living a life of such extreme frugality that even Julia and Jeff might have balked at such privations: he slept in an overcoat (considering bedclothes unnecessary), had no heating in his own house, and washed in rainwater. He affected for good the lives of many, many other people, even if his own life was odd (while to him it was entirely rational). His funeral was packed with mainly his current and former tenants, which is not something most landlords can hope for.

The typical response of most of us is defensive as we seek to justify not doing the same kind of thing. We know there is much suffering in the world, and that much of the way we live is strictly unnecessary, superfluous. So we categorise ‘extreme altruism’ as weird and pathological, and come up with convoluted reasons to condemn it morally too (you can, should you choose, read some of them in the responses to the Guardian article).

To be honest, Julia does seem motivated by a sort of ‘survivor guilt’, which compels her to see every pleasure of her own life as paid for by the suffering of someone else; you could indeed describe these thoughts as obsessive-compulsive, and her charitableness as an attempt to buy them off – an attempt which can only ever be in vain, because there will always be more suffering somewhere in the world, and always more one could do, more sacrifices one could make, to alleviate it. No wonder she gets episodes of depression. However this doesn’t seem applicable to Walter, at least in so far as I know his story. As the article suggests, some ‘extreme altruists’ are constitutionally happy, and some aren’t; their life choices actually seem to relate very little to their mental health.

Nor do they seem constrained by ideology that much. Obviously Walter was a Christian and his altruism was framed in a Christian structure. Julia, very interestingly, started out life as a Christian, abandoning her faith in her early teens on realising that ‘other people must believe just as strongly in their holy books’ – a pretty jejune line of reasoning, I think, but there it is. However her altruism remained unaffected by her ideological change. She remained haunted by the sufferings of others, and the conviction that every human being is of equal value continued to demand of her that all her spare resources had to be devoted to their support.

I must say I would question the philosophical basis of this assertion. For assertion it seems to be: if I think what ‘value’ I, or any other person, has, what I find is not something intrinsic, something absolute, at all, but something relational. My own feelings of my worth to myself aside, I am valuable to the degree that I contribute to the life of others; the whole notion of value requires someone else to be of value to. Equally, people I don’t know, who have no social or economic relation with me, are of no value to me. The last human being in existence would be of precisely no value at all, there being nobody else to whom they could be valuable. That is, unless you bring in to the equation an external arbiter of value in the form of God; secular altruism justified in terms of ‘the equal value of all human beings’ seems to me completely baseless; without God, they simply aren’t.

Well. Even Julia and Jeff set a limit on their giving, allotting themselves a minimal allowance which does give scope for occasional unnecessary treats. They have to do this to avoid madness, to escape analysing every tiny action in terms of its effect on their ability to give, to erect a boundary against the limitless need of the world which will otherwise crush them, because, as we said above, there’s always more you can do, always another sacrifice you can make. It’s just that they set that limit at a different level to most of us, even those of us who do choose to give away a proportion of our income.

I don’t feel able to criticise ‘extreme altruists’ too much, because I know I am a bit of a sociopath. In my case, Christian ethics does provide a prod to be more charitable and altruistic than I would otherwise be, and a significant part of my journey as a Christian has been coming to understand the sufferings of others far more than I am inclined to do – especially those around me, rather than abstract and notional human beings far away. But I feel nothing like the guilt that motivates Julia, and find it perfectly, and worryingly, easy to forget that other people are hurting. Last night, work over, I sat and watched a film received from the rental company I subscribe to, drank a glass of wine, had a slice of bread and jam for supper. None of these three things were necessary to my existence, they were merely pleasurable. All of them, strictly analysed, cost money which I could have given away. Yet I don’t feel particularly bad about it; the knowledge, the absolute knowledge, that as I enjoy my pleasures other people somewhere are suffering, doesn’t overly disturb me. 

Ten per cent, the Bible suggests. Jesus tells one rich man to ‘give all you have to the poor and follow me’, but he doesn’t say it to everyone. He commends the wasteful pouring of expensive perfume over his feet; he goes to a party and, entirely unnecessarily and un-ascetically, keeps it going with a miraculous transformation of water into wine. He is both unsentimental and unhaunted. There is no hint in his life that superfluous pleasure is bad, which reassures my sociopathy. And yet: surely the inability to forget the suffering of others, even when it occurs in an unbeliever, is not far removed from the experience of God. Individuals so burdened do not deserve castigation; they are needed to drive society forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment