Thursday 27 August 2015

Chaos and Devastation

Unless you count the discovery that the Vicar of Bosham wears a pink Roman chasuble for Mothering Sunday, there isn't anything much churchy to talk about, so here is a post about the garden. One of my neighbours asked whether some of the trees at the side of the Rectory could be cut back as they were shielding his garden. I thought this was only fair as they haven't been attended to for some years, and after the Council organised some tree work for us at the church I got the company they contract to to come and have a look at these trees under question, and the big ones along my drive which were also last seen to about six years ago.

£650 plus VAT, I was quoted. The trees along the drive are too big for me to manage, but I thought I could deal with the little ones along the side of the house. I definitely did. And so I could, just about.

The hairiest moment came with sorting out the cypress with its three main trunks zooming straight upwards. I sawed a little chunk out of each one so they would fall towards the garden. Yet somehow the last, biggest trunk, when I had sawed halfway through the far side, began tipping the wrong way, towards my neighbour's garden instead: I had to stop, grapple it with the long-handled pruning saw and jump out of the way when it came down. About fifteen feet of it, I reckon.

My neighbour asked whether I could get it done fairly soon as he wanted to have a barbecue. Of course since I began the exercise it's poured with rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment