Tuesday 16 June 2015

Not Today, Thank You

Following on from my previous post, there is almost no end to the reasons why I'm not going to join the Ordinariate. The business we are engaged in at Swanvale Halt – attempting to build bridges between the Catholic tradition as the Church of England has experienced it and the modern world, and translating the one in terms that the other can understand – seems to be a creative and worthwhile exercise, and one which enthuses me. I don't want to go anywhere else, and it certainly doesn't seem to me that the eternal fate of my soul or those of the people here depends on denominational boundaries.

Sometimes I regard the ranks of the Roman Catholic congregation at Swanvale Halt making their way into the church, and find myself envying their commitment, eclecticism and internationalism, but that's all I envy. It only takes a brief excursion into the wastelands of conservative Roman Catholicism to remind me why I don't want to go there, however much sympathy I may have with that way of doing things in liturgical terms. I did this a couple of days ago, and realised yet again how the blog of the New Liturgical Movement may be a helpful resource for recondite liturgical information or historical detail, but anything more ideological is deeply depressing. So this articleargues that the Synods on the Family convened by Pope Francis are the 'logical continuation and completion of the conciliar reforms', that is, the changes in ritual consequent on Vatican 2; alter the services and you end up being not quite as horrible to gays as the Church has been in the past, which is of course a terrible, terrible thing.

I am shocked that I am still shocked by things at my advanced age, but discovering the views of the NLM's poster-boy Cardinal Raymond Burke (whose liturgical activities are avidly reported on the blog) about gays did catch me out. It's one thing to regard it as impossible for two people of the same sex to celebrate the sacrament of matrimony (which is my line). It's another to view State promotion of same-sex marriage as wrong. It's another, still, to regard homosexual acts as sinful. But it strikes me that you can hold all, or any, of these beliefs, and still not argue that homosexuals should be ostracised by their families – or ‘discouraged from attending family occasions such as Christmas', as Cardinal Burke put it. The mere presence of sinners normalises sin, I suppose the idea is, and so the family as the core unit of value-formation must be kept clean and pure from such behaviour. Where such cruelty, even within its own terms, leaves a Lord who‘sits and eats with sinners', I am at a loss to understand.

None of this has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It's about defending the integrity of the tribe, and if the Pope, as totem of the tribe as well as its titular chief, questions the nature and purpose of the tribe and its rites, the tribe reels and clutches its head and contemplates an act of expiatory violence. Mr Kwasniewski in the article cited above castigates Pope Paul VI for his ‘scandalous’ attacks on the Latin Mass, and by implication Pope Francis for his apostasy from Catholic truth (Francis notoriously removed Cardinal Burke from his judicial role in the Vatican and gave him an entirely honorary position looking after a chivalric order). If the basis of your ecclesiology is that the magisterium of the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit, and also that it chooses the Supreme Pontiff under the guidance of the same Spirit, is there not, to say the least, some cognitive dissonance involved in this business of picking which Popes you like and which you don't? Isn't this, effectively, chaos, Protestantism, in which only the monomanic voices of the Sede-Vacantists offer a logical way out?


My interlocutor of a few days ago seemed quite well disposed towards Papa Francesco; but I'm not going to go anywhere near all this. The Church of England seems to me, for all its ambiguities and shabby compromises, to have got the Gospel so much more right. I'd rather have the arguments I have here than the bitterer arguments I'd surely have on the further bank of the Tiber. Haltg

No comments:

Post a Comment