Thursday 13 November 2014

Reviewed

On Monday I went to the Diocesan Education Centre next to the Cathedral for my Ministerial Review. This is only the second one I've been through (as an incumbent), and the kindly Canon who carried it out made sure it was a fairly painless experience: it was a bit like filling in an aunt you've not seen for a few years on what you've been doing. It's even more painless for me, unlike most clergy, as I have the freehold of my parish rather than exist on Bishop's Licence, which means that, for the most part, the instructions I get from the powers-that-be are more like suggestions.

Although I was deeply sceptical of the business the last time I did it, it did come up with one very practical idea: that I should organise a 'staff meeting' to share the business of leadership a bit more. I was resistant, partly due to distrusting the concept of leadership, partly to not being able to decide who not to include, but having done it I now find it a hugely helpful structure.

Carrying on with broadening collaborative leadership is one of the conclusions of the process this time, too, along with regularly praying for encounters which will enable me to talk about faith with people (that happens far less than you might imagine), and making contact with some ecclesiastical network beyond the parish - perhaps the Society of Catholic Priests - and seeing what arises out of that.

I know this isn't exciting, but it's worth people knowing about. Just think how boring it would have been if I hadn't had the freehold and would have had to draw up a Role Description as well.

2 comments:

  1. Extraordinary - I would have thought the one thing people would wish to discuss with you from time to time is the nature of their faith. Are they all so certain of their faith all the time that they feel it can be taken as read? (unlikely, surely)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be amazed at people's reticence, whether or not they're members of the congregation. Our principal at college said he only really got to know what his congregation actually thought when one Lent he gave everyone the opportunity to have a half-hour consultation with him about their spiritual lives. The great exception is when people want to tell me I'm wrong, for which see the following post!

    ReplyDelete