Tuesday 9 September 2014

Out of the Box

Back in Lamford I was given a beautiful Victorian home-communion set which had been owned by a previous incumbent of the parish, but that got stolen. So I bought another from eBay, slipping out of a meeting to bid for it on the church office computer. I've never mentioned it before so thought I would post a picture of it. The paten is engraved: 'Presented with a cheque to THE REV. E.C.HAYWARD, B.Sc., A.T.C.L., by the Congregation & Parish of ST. BARNABAS' CHURCH, HEATON, BRADFORD, as a sincere token of affection & high regard for his FAITHFUL MINISTRY, 1936-1941'. I rather like the idea that the set was rescued from potential collectors and restored to use.

I used it yesterday, in fact, going to take the last rites to a member of the church who very probably only has a couple of days to live. I'd been to take communion to Jeff many times at home since he became unable to get to church, and he was able to receive the sacrament again, though not to speak. We do what we can, and leave the rest to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment