Wednesday 2 February 2011

Misbehaviour

What a day of contrasts. At Widelake House this morning they'd forgotten we were coming and the staff rounded up a strange collection of residents and day visitors, virtually none of whom we'd ever seen before. Normally they're very placid but today were actually rather awkward; one lady was tearful and repeatedly complained of being lost (which is quite understandable), but another remarked loudly and scornfully 'What's wrong with 'er?' and, regarding me, ' 'E don't look like any vicar I've ever seen. If 'e's a vicar, I'll eat my 'at'.' I wonder what vicars do look like, and should I change?

(Only yesterday a parishioner - not one I've ever seen in church - accosted me and congratulated me precisely for 'dressing like a proper vicar'. 'I'm glad that bloody woman's gone,' he further offered, meaning my predecessor, 'couldn't get on with her'. The day before, one of the local alcoholics had been telling me what a good friend she'd been to him, which just goes to show. What will be said about me after I've gone? I shall just have to outlive them all).

Then this afternoon we had Church Club after school. The children were particularly nuts today. Ben couldn't seem to sit up straight and continually ended up on the floor, gyrating in strange convolutions and cycles, while Michael appeared to have his hands permanently down the front of his trousers. You can't help speculating what will become of them.

I finished off the day with the solemn observance of Candlemas which attracted a dozen people. I'm very pleased about this! We processed around a darkened church to the accompaniment of the Office Hymn, Quod Chorus Vatum, which has been a pig to learn but went rather well. Next step is to get the people themselves learning plainchant ...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! - we did some plainchant in the Evensong last Sunday (we still have one once in a while, yeah...) and that had even the choir roll eyes! I liked it, though.

    ReplyDelete