Wednesday 24 November 2010

Liturgical Improv

There's a ritual for the blessing of a house. In fact there are several and I gauge the degree of elaboration which may be appropriate depending on the person asking and circumstances. You can find more examples of this here and here. I had to do one of these today, and erred on the side of elaboration all things considered.

"Could you bless my car?" asked the householder. I couldn't think of any logical reason why not, and thought it would clearly make him feel better, so we walked out to where the car was parked and on the way I considered what on earth I was going to say. Our brothers and sisters of the Roman observance probably have a form of words for this, but I had no access to anything of the kind. Suddenly the words 'My father, my father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!' popped into my mind (2Kings 2:12 should you want to check). So water was sprinkled over the automobile in question and the following words, or something like them, were proclaimed:

Father, who took into heaven the prophet Elijah
in a chariot of fire and granted to Elisha his successor
the spiritual vision to see it,
and intend the ingenuity of technology for our good:
bless this vehicle and those who journey in it,
that they may be preserved from breakdown and accident,
and brought safely to the end of their travelling;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.


I was almost unacceptably pleased with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment