Friday 28 May 2010

Cultural Sensitivity

Like a whole swathe of schools across the country under the new, tougher OfStEd regime, our parish school was marked down a grade in its recent inspection, partly because it wasn't doing enough to 'foster community cohesion'. Well, it was actually, but couldn't prove it had thought about doing so in a strategic way.

I remembered that this week when I turned up to help with our church After-School Club. Ahead of me was a lady pushing a selection of large boxes on a package trolley. 'Are those books for us?' asked the secretary. 'No, I'm here for Science Club', replied the visitor. 'No high explosives, I hope' came the word from behind the glass. 'Er, no', replied the very obviously Muslim lady, adjusting her headscarf. You could argue that feeling able to make jokes as unselfconsciously as that shows that our community relations are in fact extraordinarily good. You could.

No comments:

Post a Comment