Thursday 29 October 2009

The Blackest of Demons

I'm reading (in fact have been since I started in Swanvale Halt) Kathleen Norris's The Noonday Demon which, so far, has proved to be the best spiritual book I've come across in a long while indeed. It deals with the affliction of the soul the desert monks called akedia; it emerged into the Western tradition as the Deadly Sin sloth, though this narrows some of its nature. It's a species of spiritual indifference, which gives rise to restlessness and dissatisfaction, and eventually rage; the 'noonday demon' because it assaulted the monks most strongly in the middle of the day, midway between the hope of morning and the restfulness of night.

The other day I was at a meeting of one of the many overlapping groups which constitute the inter-church relationships of which Swanvale Halt is part. I don't know why I felt so alienated: but for whatever reason it quickly escalated into contempt, cynicism, and anger. Every organisation needs to ask itself from time to time whether it's doing too much or having too many meetings; but this was more. All the good work being described was swamped in my mind by a spiralling mist of anger, even as I fought to combat it. As we reached the end and someone else was leading prayers I barely, barely restrained myself from grabbing a teacup and throwing it across the room. Where did such violent feelings come from?

I had something else to deal with almost immediately, thankfully involving somebody completely uninvolved with the Church. I came home and adopted a threefold strategy, of reading (that is, re-entering my comfort zone which I control and understand), of praying and having a sleep. I came to the conclusion that most of my problem, shamefully, was not being in control of the event. There is obviously a deep rupture in my makeup somewhere which is triggered by feeling exposed and powerless. The Noonday Demon is preparing me for this: laying open the genealogy of 'bad thoughts', which is what it means to battle with the powers and principalities.

3 comments:

  1. May I be permitted to repeat the comment on a previous post. Deep breathing for the first year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you may, Dr L, and thank you. But I think it's more than that; it's a pattern of thought, and unless you challenge and investigate what are really spiritual disturbances, you never learn anything from them, so I think I have to. The point of writing it all down is that you never get told this at theological college, and clergy can do immense damage through not questioning their own thought-patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is wrong, and terribly unsupportive, but I have a wonderful cartoon in my head of the long suffering church tea cup with gold trim and delightfully painted elegant flowers around it being hurled across the room quite unexpectantly during a particularly pias prayer moment....
    and the complete surprise of the surrounding people as it flies through the air.

    It needs a caption really....

    ReplyDelete