Tuesday 7 December 2021

Geeks Bearing Gifts

A book I have ordered seems to have gone astray, and when this little package turned up yesterday I was momentarily excited until I realised it was much too small for what I was expecting. Instead the mailing came from ChurchSuite, a company that runs a church-management software package that we don't use, and contained, as you can see, a bar of Green & Black's chocolate, which as it happens I rather like. As an attempt to capture my attention it definitely worked, but didn't have what I imagine was the intended result. Instead it made me feel very uncomfortable. I haven't done anything to deserve this bar of chocolate. How many were ChurchSuite sending out to random parish incumbents? How much profit do they make to enable them to engage in a marketing exercise like this? These sweets, as I know well, usually cost £2.20 from Messrs Waitrose & Sons (unless they're on offer).

I gave my chocolate to Rick the Verger, who had fewer qualms about it. It hasn't made me any more likely to spend a lot of the church's money on ChurchSuite.

No comments:

Post a Comment