Monday 10 May 2021

Paper Mountain

Margaret's anniversary combined with the forthcoming Annual Parochial Church Meeting has made me reflect on something that has surfaced in my mind for quite some time; where exactly are all the old PCC records? We have had four PCC secretaries since I arrived in Swanvale Halt, including Margaret who was just retiring at that time. She handed on to me a vast collection of papers: her husband, who'd died some years before, had been church treasurer at one stage and so there were dual his'n'hers copies of a lot of the records. Eventually those went up to the loft in the church but scanning round the place now I am not entirely sure where they are, and I haven't kept tabs on the location of the more recent ones at all.

Clearing out my study yesterday I realised that a collection of ring-binders underneath a table were in fact a group of PCC records that came from Harriet - or was it Pru? - when she relinquished the role of Secretary. So I can account for those. Meanwhile Darren, the new Secretary, has always preferred digital record-keeping, partly because of health issues that make it sensible to reduce the amount of dust-harbouring paper he might have around the place. But I think there should be hard copies as well, if only because I am supposed to sign the minutes off, and thanks to the dislocations and remote meetings of the last year or so I am not sure what I have physically signed and what I haven't: such is the relief of getting to the end of a rushed Zoom meeting that remembering actually to stick my signature on something at a future point is a demand too far, it seems. I know, gentle reader, that such matters are eye-wateringly dull, but among my many other 'recovery tasks' will be dealing with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment