Sunday 30 May 2021

How Many Lives Has A Goldfish?

Is there no end to the stress the pond can bring me? I went outside to feed the fish today and found one, the one who was savaged some months ago and spent several weeks recuperating in the hospital tank, on top of a stay there last year after its fins began falling apart, lying on top of the netting that covers the pond. Its head was still in the water so it was able to breathe but lay passively waiting for help. I scooped it up and put it back in the water whereupon it swum happily away. How did it get there? I can only imagine that it found its way into the little gully next to the plant pot which is not covered by netting, got stuck, and flipped itself out of the water trying to escape. Just as well no heron or cat was anywhere around as no fish could be in a more vulnerable position. I've now adjusted the net.

Last night, though, I managed to see two bats flitting about which has only happened once before. Every year I wonder whether there will be any bats and their reappearance is always a relief: I feel has though delight has not abandoned the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment