Swanvale Halt is quiet at the moment. Some of this is down to the schools being out, and some to the heat (it was absolutely deathly at the height of the heatwave). And things are quiet for me: a little spate of funerals and baptisms has come to an end, and it was in any case nothing like the numbers that I used to deal with when I was first ordained. I have found myself feeling increasingly exhausted; there have been days when dragging myself back up the hill from the church has actually been hard work, and I don’t think that was entirely to do with the heat. Why should it be, if I have less to do?
Every now and again I speak to Dale, a former parishioner,
over Zoom: we started during the pandemic. American Dale has had so many
careers and courses of academic study that I find it a challenge to work out
how they all fit in: now he lives a somewhat health-restricted life in a south
Midlands town. He thinks I am a cleverer and better person than I am. This week
he mused on the kind of relationship he and I have, which is a sort of
pastoral one but also one of peers. I used my tiredness as an example: I can’t
tell actual parishioners how weary I feel as this will probably make them less
willing to bother me with things I really should be bothered with. ‘Reverting
to the career as a therapist I never pursued’, Dale says (another one? really?)
‘I would say that close attention to people – which is what Jesus does – is
exhausting and a day that ends in a feeling of exhaustion and fulfilment has
succeeded’.
I wondered how often ‘fulfilment’ described how I feel at
the end of a day. Certainly I appreciate the sense of having had a helpful
interaction with someone, even Mad Trevor, no matter how tiring it has been. My
frustration is that I am so often unable to offer anything which feels
meaningful. But is the meaning simply in the interaction, in the listening?
Dale’s thoughts suggested it might be. I also reflected that I might also draw
some energy from those interactions, a different kind of energy from the
sort I expend, in the same way that in the world of physics kinetic energy gets
converted to potential energy and vice versa. Maybe it was having fewer such
interactions that made me feel exhausted, and the quiet time was a sudden withdrawal of a kind of energization I relied on.
That could be something that changes the whole way I view
areas of my work, and life beyond my work in fact. Amazing that one can reach
56 and not know something so basic.
(Photo of my day-off lunchtime trip to a local pool for context)


No comments:
Post a Comment