Saturday 3 June 2023

Wild Encounters

Why was my driveway scattered with dead or at least very unhappy bumblebees when I got back from church this morning? It turned out their nest, in a bank where the wall along the drive stops, had been dug out, almost certainly by a badger. I had no idea the nest was there, nor that badgers apparently do this to get at the grubs, especially in dry weather when it's hard to get worms. It's pretty impressive on the badgers' part as there can't be a badger sett anywhere closer than 300 yards from the nest.

Meanwhile I was alerted by a scratching noise to the presence of a pigeon stuck in the chimney. It's happened before and is a right pain for both me and the pigeon. The birds sit on a ledge about 18 inches up and getting them out requires clearing out the grate, getting gloves, old clothes and a face mask. Here is the poor bird, after I extracted it and it knocked itself dramatically on the lounge ceiling, leaving a bloody mark: I didn't have tight enough a hold. It may not survive, but if it dies at least it will die outside where it's supposed to be, and not up a chimney. That's what I would want, were I a pigeon.

I hoped this would be the last wildlife adventure today, but at least the other only involved shifting a couple of froglets from the tank upstairs out to the pond!


No comments:

Post a Comment